Greetings Saluki Fanciers!
Welcome to the SALUKI CLUB OF GREATER SAN FRANCISCO web site. We are geographically located in Northern California, but welcome members and inquiries from saluki fanciers from far and wide. So, if you are interested in learning more about this intriguing breed, we’d love to hear from you.
The Saluki Club of Greater San Francisco was licensed by the American Kennel in 1973, but our founding members were active in the San Francisco Bay Area for many years and prior to 1973, they were known as The Sierra Saluki Club. The SCGSF was the second regional saluki club in the United States to hold an annual independent specialty (the newly formed Galveston Bay Saluki Club’s specialty was held just before ours). Having grown substantially in the past 4 decades, our members reside all over Northern California, other portions of California and also out of state.
The members of the Saluki Club of Greater San Francisco:
- encourage and promote the appreciation of pure-bred salukis in an effort to bring their natural qualities to perfection by breeding salukis that possess the soundness, temperament, natural ability and personality that is reflected in the breed standard
- uphold the standard of breed excellence as approved by the American Kennel Club
- protect and advance the interest of the breed by encouraging sportsmanlike competition at dog shows, obedience trials and field trials
- conduct sanctioned and licensed specialty shows, obedience trials and field trials under the rules of the American Kennel Club
- make every effort to successfully place physically and mentally healthy salukis in need of a home.
The SCGSF hosts world class Saluki Specialties each year in early October and one Match, typically scheduled in May or July. Visiting our Specialties is a great chance to see a large number of salukis and meet breeders and enthusiast from all over the United States and frequently overseas fanciers as well.
We support and encourage a variety of regional saluki activities, including: showing, obedience, lure coursing and social gatherings. We welcome visitors at our events and membership inquiries. Just drop us a note and tell us what your interests are!